Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Usefulness of Mathematical Learning - Part 1

I have, for quite some time, admired "An Essay on the Usefulness of Mathematical Learning in a Letter from a Gentleman in the City to his Friend in Oxford."

Though it was first printed in 1701, the arguments it makes are remarkably modern sounding - possibly because the time we live in actually has a lot in common with the late 17th and early 18th centuries.

So I think that this book is worth reading, but the format, typesetting, and 17th century usage make it tricky. Therefore, I will transcribe it into slightly more modern English while doing my best to preserve the tone and rhythm of the prose. Also, I mean to offer such commentary as may be useful to a student who endeavors to fully comprehend the import of the argument.

I think I'm in the spirit now, so here we go.

AN

ESSAY

ON

The Usefulness of

MATHEMATICAL LEARNING, &c.

Sir,

I am glad to hear from you that the study of the Mathematics is promoted and encouraged among the youth of your university. The great influence, which these sciences have on Philosophy and all useful learning, as well as the concerns of the public, may sufficiently recommend them to your choice and consideration: and the particular advantages, which you of that place enjoy, give us just reason to expect from you a suitable improvement in them. I have here sent you some short reflections upon the usefulness of mathematical learning which may serve as an argument to incite you to a closer and more vigorous pursuit of it.



That was the first page of just over 56 that the whole letter takes. For all that there are similarities between our time and his, a notable difference is that we would in no way consider this missive "short."

No comments: